Hear Us Roar - an anthology of emerging women football writers
Compiled by Bonita Mersiades
Hear Us Roar is a series of long-form articles or short stories submitted as part of the Emerging Women Writers initiative of the 2023 Football Writers' Festival.
Emerging women writers from around the world were invited to submit an article by the end of January 2023, with the judging panel comprising journalists and authors from five continents.
The articles that have been selected include personal stories, player profiles, football as a business, and development of the women's game.
- Sissi: The Unsung Hero of Brazilian Women's Football - Olga Bagatini, Brazil
- Keeping the Hope Alive: The Story of a Pakistani Goalkeeper - Natasha Raheel, Pakistan
- From Rejection to Stardom: The Famine Mana Story - Cassandra Kimaka, Cameroon
The Development of Women's Football in Cameroon - Chansiline Nanze, Cameroon
- Coconut Football: A Bittersweet Relationship - Adi Arieta Tinai, Fiji
- For Women Only: Unique Issues for Women in Football - Neilley Ebessa, Cameroon
- The Shine of Girls and Women in Brazilian Soccer: An Illustrated Story - Nathalia Servadio, Brazil
- Game Changers: How Viktoria Berlin is Revolutionising Women's Football in Germany - Alina Ruprecht, Germany
- Boardroom to Bleachers: Representation and Societal Issues in Football - Rebecca Ngoie, Congo
- Football Fandom - Luca Marie Wodtke, Germany
- Virtual Turnstiles: Barriers to Entry and Technological Gatekeeping in Women's Football - Caroline Stefko, USA
- Racism in Women's Football - Francesca Lever, England
- Sidelines - Olivia Barber, England
- Izzy's Magical Soccer Adventure - Emma Larkin, Ireland
- My Love is for the Red, Red, Rose - Amy Canavan, Scotland
Three Goals that Changed Me - Flora Snelson, England
- Football. Bloody Hell. - Steffany Wangari Ndei, Kenya
Introduction by Bonita Mersiades.
Other than a payment to each of the 17 individual contributors, the proceeds of this book will be given to the Literacy for Life Foundation and Future4Nepal.
Published: July 2023
ISBN: 978-1-925914-62-7, 978-1-925914-63-4 (ePub)
Size: 234 x 156mm
Imprint: Fair Play Publishing